This might make you feel really old, but CD/DVD drives are now considered legacy hardware actually. As Windows 10 continues to modernize the operating system, Support for these types of older hardware technology as optical drives is now becoming increasingly spotty. This is unfortunate because many users still rely on CDs and DVDs. In fact, you might even need to use a DVD drive in order to install Windows 10 on your computer. Let’s discuss How Do I Find My DVD Drive in Windows.
One of the common complaints that I have encountered among users is the loss of their DVD or CD drive after upgrading. This can actually be a result of a combination of factors: corrupt driver, out of date firmware, or also a factory defect. Before you guys throw out your DVD drive and then get a new one, here is a look at some of the troubleshooting steps that you can try.
Reason This Issue Occurs
If your Windows 10 computer includes a CD or DVD drive, then there are many issues that can cause it to stop working or appear to stop working. These basically include:
- Bad disc. most of the time it’s not the drive, but the disc actually. Just try a different disc and see what happens.
- The wrong type of disc. If you guys have a CD-only drive and insert a DVD disc, it won’t actually work. Likewise, if you try to play or record a Blu-ray disc in a regular DVD drive, then that won’t work either.
- You don’t have the right playback software installed. Windows 10 does not come with a DVD player program installed now. So, if you’re trying to play a DVD movie on your Windows 10 PC, then it simply won’t work, at least not right out of the box actually. You’ll have to install a DVD playback app. You can find many good ones in the Microsoft Store online.
- It can be a faulty Windows update. The regular Windows updates that Microsoft forces on your system can usually cause unexpected problems. If your CD/DVD drive stops working immediately after a Windows update, then you may need to try to uninstall the update. (Launch the Settings window and choose Update & Security > Windows Update > View Update History >, Uninstall Updates.)
- It can be caused whenever you install another app. just like, installing new software on your computer can sometimes cause conflicts along with existing hardware and software. If your CD/DVD drive stops working immediately the follows the installation of a new software program. Just try to uninstall that new program and see what happens. (Launch the Settings window and choose Apps > Apps & Features, then choose the app and tap on Uninstall.)
Use Windows Update in order to Fix Windows 10 DVD Drive Issues
Well, it’s not unusual for your optical drive to be working just fine in a previous version of Windows or Windows 10. Then the minute you upgrade to a new version, it actually stops working. The first thing you can do is just check Windows Update then install the latest drivers if there are any. Such as, Microsoft released updates for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and version 1511 that resolved problems with optical drives. In this case, the cause of the problem was also the solution actually.
Tap on Start > Settings > Update & security. Make sure that your system is up to date and there are no hardware driver updates to install as well.
If you get a CD/DVD driver that works for you, then you might want to consider stopping Windows 10 from automatically updating drivers in the future actually.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Driver
If, after updating the driver, your CD/DVD drive still does not work. Then you should try to uninstall and then reinstalling the driver. This usually fixes the problem.
- Open the Device Manager
- Right-tap on the Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Right-tap on Your Device
- Double-click in order to expand the DVD/CD-ROM section, then right-tap your device.
- Now uninstall Your Device
- Click the Uninstall device.
- Then reboot Your Computer
Whenever the device driver is uninstalled, you then need to reboot your computer. When your computer restarts, it will then automatically install the now-missing CD/DVD device driver actually.
Remove the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers from Device Manager
- Tap Windows Key + X to open the Power User Menu.
- Choose the Device Manager from the list.
- Whenever the Device Manager opens, head to View and select Show hidden devices.
- Locate ATA Channel controllers and uninstall them all just right-click them and select Uninstall from the menu.
- After you do that close Device Manager and then restart your PC.
Users reported that this problem can be easily fixed through uninstalling IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers from Device Manager. If you do not have ATA Channel available in the Device Manager, make sure to delete the SATA controller and then restart your computer. Whenever your computer restarts the DVD drive should appear again.
Some users are also suggesting to remove your DVD drive from Device Manager so that you might want to try that as well.
Delete Virtual Drive Software | how do I find my DVD drive in windows
Well, virtual drive software, which is basically used to mount disc images (ISOs) can most of the time cause conflict with physical optical drives actually. If you have utilities like Daemon Tools, PowerISO, ISO Recorder, or just the same software installed, delete them. Then tap on Windows key + x and select Programs and Features. Highlight the program and also tap on Uninstall.
Check BIOS Settings
Well, if you recently were in the BIOS, then you should make sure that the drive did not get turn off by accident. This is normally very rare, however, there are occasions when it can happen actually. This is especially true if you gave your computer to someone else for a repair or something of that sort as well.
You should also make sure that the CD/DVD ROM drive at least shows up as an option on the Boot options page.
Relying on the age of your system, there is a possibility your chipset drivers for your motherboard might be out of date actually. Check the manufacturer’s website for your computer and also browse the downloads section for your specific model. Installing the latest chipset driver may resolve the issue along with your optical drive not working properly or not being recognized in Windows actually.
However, you guys should also check if there are any BIOS or firmware updates for your system. Because these can also improve Windows 10 compatibility along with older hardware.
Edit your Windows Registry in order to Fix CD Drive Issues | how do I find my DVD drive in windows
If the problem still persists after exhausting these troubleshooting steps. Then you can move on to make changes to the Windows 10 registry, which might restore functionality actually. Before carrying out any of these steps, make sure you back up your registry and then create a system restore point just in case.
- Tap Windows key + x then tap Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following command at the prompt, tap Enter, exit the command prompt then restart your computer.
reg.exe add “HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesatapiController0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
- Corrupt registry entries have also been known to cause problems along with hardware like optical drives. Deleting these corrupt entries just might fix the problem.
- Tap Start, and type: regedit
- Right-tap regedit then click Run as administrator
- Now navigate to the following registry subkey:
- Now in the right pane, tap UpperFilters
- From the Edit menu, tap Delete then click Yes in order to confirm changes.
- Then repeat the same steps for LowerFilters.
- If you do not see an entry for LowerFilters, then exit the registry then restart your computer.
Play DVD Movies in Windows 10
Well, Windows 10 does not include native DVD Playback, neither does it support Blu-ray media. If you guys want to do this in Windows 10, then you have to install compatible software. That actually supports your optical drive. Microsoft basically gives a universal DVD playback app to purchase from the Windows Store actually. If you don’t want to purchase software, then you can also check the manufacturer’s website. In order to find out if they have supported software, you can use them to view your media. Third-party software like VLC Player might work with your media, and it’s free too.
You are good to go. If you have any queries and issues related to this “how do I find my DVD drive in windows” article then let us know in the comments section below.
Also See: What Is System Guard Runtime Monitor?