Gmail is basically one of the most famous cloud-based email services in use in the world today. This is actually true for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that it is really easy to organize your email. Email threading makes following conversations really easy, and also the filters let you handle incoming emails more conveniently. Let’s now discuss How to Edit and Add Contacts to Gmail.
However, one area where Gmail still falls short is with managing your contacts actually. It is not that the Contacts app is not useful. It is just that it is actually so hard to find.
How to Edit and Add Contacts to Gmail
Well, there are so many simple little tasks that, if completed, could make your life a little easier. However, for one reason or another it gets put off as well. And most of the time those tasks come back to bite you later on. Updating your address whenever you move, moving your email account over to a new, more professional one, that makes that semi-important (however, also semi-dreaded) phone call actually.
Well, keeping your contacts’ information up to date is another one of those tasks as well. If you use Google Contacts in order to keep track of folks, don’t worry. Editing your Google contacts can be really quickly and easily accomplished actually.
Let’s see what you guys will need to edit your Google contacts.
Where You Can Find Your Contacts In Gmail
You have looked through all of the menus, search settings, and still, you can’t really find where you can access your Contacts. What’s really interesting here is that the way to access Gmail contacts is hidden in plain sight actually.
- If you want to find your contacts in Gmail, then look at the top of the inbox and over to the right. Choose the six-dot icon (the square grid) that is next to your profile picture.
- This will actually bring up a list of Google apps, and you just have to choose the Contacts icon in order to open the Google Contacts app.
- When you do that, you will then see your whole Google Contacts library.
Contacts get added automatically whenever you send emails to someone as well as add them to your contacts list automatically. This is why when you guys are creating a new email and also start typing a name into the To or Cc fields. You will see a list of matching names from your contacts list show up as well.
You guys can also use the search field at the top in order to find particular contacts. Organize email contacts via labels. This is also where you guys can create or manage contacts just you can see below.
How can you Add New Contacts In Gmail?
Well, in the Google Contacts app, you guys can also create a new contact through choosing to Create contact. You will see a drop-down where you can choose Create a contact in order to create a single contact. Or select Create multiple contacts in order to create more than one contact all at once.
This will then open a new Create new contact window. Fill out the details for the contact, that basically include on:
- First name
- Last name
- Job title
- Phone number
Most of these fields are optional actually. If you guys want then you can just enter the first name and last name, and only an email address or phone number actually.
Also, if you want to add more information about the contact. Then you can choose to Show more in order to include a long list of other information. Some of the information you can also add include:
- Street address
- Custom field
- Much more
Basically, any information that you want to include about your contacts, you can include in their contact card as well.
Using labels is a really effective way in order to organize all of your contacts. Create labels such as Friends, Family, Coworkers, and more to make it much easier to locate your contacts or groups of contacts as well. In order to add a new label just choose Create label in the Labels section in the left navigation pane. Then just type the label name and choose Save. The new label will then show up under the Labels section as well.
In order to assign contact to any label:
- Choose the contact in order to open it
- Then select the Edit contact icon
- Tap on the label you need to assign it to from the drop-down list
- You can also create a new label here via typing its name and choosing the + icon on the right
How can you Delete Gmail Contacts
Well, deleting contacts is really easy. You guys can either delete individual or multiple contacts as well.
- If you want to delete an individual contact, just choose one of the contacts in the Contacts list to open the card. At the upper right, you have to choose the three dots to the right of the Edit icon.
- Choose Delete from the list in order to delete the contact.
- To delete multiple contacts from your Contacts list, you have to choose the checkbox to the left of each and every contact you want to delete. You will then see a new menu open at the top of the list whenever you do this.
- Choose the three dots on the right side of the menu. And choose Delete from the drop-down list. This will remove all of the contacts that you have selected.
How can you Import Contacts Into Gmail?
If you choose the Import option from the left navigation pane. Then you will have the option to import to contacts from a CSV file actually. The problem with this is that you have to know how can you format that CSV file. The easy fix for this is just to first export your contacts to a CSV file, then use that CSV file in order to add your new contacts as well.
- In order to export, choose the Export link in the left navigation panel. You will then see options in order to export to different formats. Just select Google CSV.
- When you’ve downloaded the exported CSV file, then you can open the file. Remove all of the rows (except the header). Then, use the headers in order to create your own new contact entries. You can also create as many entries as you want through creating new rows in this CSV file.
- You have to save the file and keep it in CSV format. Then go back into your Google Contacts app and then choose Import from the left navigation pane.
- Now in the Import contacts window, you need to select Select file.
- You need to browse to the CSV file you created and choose it. Then select Import in order to import those new contacts into your Google Contacts list.
Edit your Contacts From Gmail
Well unlike adding new contacts, there are a few different, convenient ways that you can edit your existing contacts actually.
- To do this from right inside Gmail when you are composing an email. Just choose the To label for the to field (yes, this is actually a link too).
- This will then open the Google Contacts app so that you can choose any contact you want to edit.
- You can also learn how you can edit individual contacts inside the Google Contacts app in the section below as well.
How can you Edit Contacts in google?
You guys can actually skip the Google Contacts app and also edit a contact form directly inside of Gmail. You just have to add the contact to the To or Cc field, and then choose the contact icon.
- This will pop-up a small card where you guys can choose Edit Contact in order to open the form where you can edit that contact.
- Also, it will open the Edit Contact window where you can make any changes you want to.
- You can also edit the contacts from the Google Contacts app. Just choose any of the contacts from the list actually.
- It will then open the Contact details card. Choose the pencil Edit Contact icon from at the top of the window.
- This will also open the same Edit contact window where you guys can also make your edits too.
As you guys can see, there are many different ways in order to access your Google Contacts list. You can edit and add contacts from inside Gmail in a new message as well. Or you can also open the Google Contacts app and make all of your contact updates from there too.
You are good to go. If you have any queries and issues related to this article then let us know in the comments section below.
Also See: How to Turn Off iPhone X and Latest