Besides the startup volume that holds a bootable copy of the OS along with your apps and also data. That your Mac’s disk also had a hidden recovery partition which you are also able to boot from to reinstall macOS, however, perform a quick examination of connected disks and further. But what whether the recovery partition gets injured, for example? Now enter Internet Recovery Mode, also an Internet-based version of Recovery Mode found on recent Macs, that loads recovery tools from Apple’s servers.
Similarly, with Internet Recovery Mode, you are also able to reinstall macOS. And troubleshoot problems in the unlucky scenario of your Mac’s startup disk having become corrupted or thoroughly unreadable. In this guide, you will learn everything so there is about Internet Recovery Mode and the way to use it to your advantage whether your disk experiences a problem or the startup drive has been replaced or removed.
Difference b/w standard Recovery & Internet Recovery
However, your Mac’s recovery partition also has an up-to-date copy of the macOS installer. So booting in Recovery Mode allows you to reinstall the newest version of macOS.
However, the Internet Recovery Mode allows you to reinstall the macOS version. Similarly, that was factory-preloaded on your Mac once of buy. So then you should use Internet Recovery whether your Mac’s internal disk is injured. Or you have replaced it with a faster, further capacious model. And you have forgotten to make a bootable version of El Capitan on USB media.
In order to close up in Recovery Mode, you are installing or reinstall the too much new version of macOS that was priorly available on this PC. So the internet Recovery, in addition, will download the version of macOS which initially came with your PC. However, in most cases won’t be the most up-to-date macOS version available. In addition, Internet Recovery will automatically manage a quick test of Mac’s memory and also disks to examine for hardware problems.
Things you are able to do in Internet Recovery Mode
Simply as the standard Recovery Mode, the Internet Recovery Mode allows you:
- Scan, clarify, and repair connected drives with Disk Utility
- Remove, install or reinstall OS X that was factory-preloaded
- Restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup
- Examine your Internet connection or receive support online by using Safari
Whether both your Mac’s startup volume and also its recovery partition have become corrupted or physically injured. The PC will instinctively enter Internet Recovery Mode.
Enter Internet Recovery Mode
In order to enter this mode at any time, you have to perform the following:
1) Similarly, in the Apple menu, you have to select Restart or power on your Mac.
2) As the PC reboots, hold down the Command – Option – R combination instinctively upon hearing the startup chime.
However, hold the keys until the animated globe available on the screen. “Starting Internet Recovery,” the message reads. ”This probably takes a while.”
Instruction: Whether you own a Mac notebook, confirm you are by using the built-in keyboard. In order to enter Internet Recovery Mode as the keystroke probably not register on external keyboards.
3)Similarly, in the next step, a Wi-Fi menu appears. However, internet Recovery requires an Internet connection. In order to load the recovery tools just from Apple’s servers. Simply tap the menu in order to display the available Wi-Fi networks. And then choose one to connect to.
Whether you are using an Ethernet connection. So then you do not have in order to connect to a Wi-Fi network simply by during Internet Recovery.
4) Whether this is not an open Wi-Fi network. You will have to type in your password. Firstly you have to press Enter on the keyboard or tap the checkmark symbol in order to continue.
5) Although after your Mac has connected simply to the Wi-Fi network. So then it’ll download a recovery system image from Apple’s servers and start from it, offering you access to the recovery tools.
Hanging on your Internet connection, probably take anywhere from a couple of minutes to up to an hour, or longer. Here connect your Mac to the power adapter. So that it does not run out of juice while it is loading Internet Recovery from Apple’s servers.
6) Whether all goes well, so then you will see the macOS utility window.
Select the option you like to use in this window or through the utility menu.
The recovery tools allow you:
- Firstly reinstall the version of macOS which initially came with your Mac
- Restore the PC simply from a Time Machine backup
- Examine the connected disks for errors with Disk Utility
- Search for the support online by using Safari
Internet Recovery Mode requirements
However, some Macs which came with OS X Snow Leopard are also able to use Internet Recovery after installing OS X Lion. Or later and a firmware update,” notes Apple.
Whether your Mac is one of the models listed below or previous. You probably upgrade it to use macOS Internet Recovery. However, by downloading and also installing an updated EFI Firmware ROM:
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 15-inch, 17-inch, Early 2011)
- iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
- iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
- MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
- Mac mini (Mid 2010)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch and 17-inch, Mid 2010)
- iMac (21.5-inch and 27-inch, Mid 2010)
- MacBook Air (11-inch and 13-inch, Late 2010)
Recent machines managing maximum OS X Lion support Internet Recovery out of the box.
Requirements for installing macOS in Recovery Mode
After entering Internet Recovery Mode and choosing to install or reinstall macOS, your Mac will need to download the installer for the version of macOS. That came preloaded on your Mac when you took it out of the box.
Whether OS X Recovery is used for reinstallation, your Mac must use DHCP on Wi-Fi. Or Ethernet network & WPA/WPA2 as a security procedure on Wi-Fi.
However, you are also unable to reinstall macOS over Wi-Fi. Or Ethernet network that utilizes the following authentication protocols:
- Certificate-based authentication / 802.1x
- Proxies (where proper proxy servers must be configured in network preferences)
- Captive Wi-Fi networks (however, where you tap an “Agree” button in order to access the Internet)
- PPPoE (where there is no router controlling the PPPoE connection)
However, the network needs listed above also apply to the version of Safari. However, which comes with macOS’ Internet Recovery and also standard Recovery Mode.
Whether your Internet connection also has requirements so then that is unsupported simply by macOS Recovery. Turn the settings to a supported configuration for the duration of the macOS installation.
Whether the recovery partition on your Mac also has been injured. And you are also not able to enter the standard Recovery Mode. And Internet Recovery is also not available. So then you are also able to still start the PC from an external drive with a bootable version of OS X.
Although we highly suggest making a bootable copy of the macOS installer on a USB thumb drive. Similarly, you are also able to use it to install macOS on various Macs without requiring to re-download the installer on each and every machine.
Only you have to plug a USB flash drive simply having a macOS installer into your Mac. Simply then reboot the PC, and also you have to hold down the Option key after hearing the startup chime.
Also, read this guide: Make sure If Your Computer Can Run Windows 10
Well, Guys! It was a full tutorial in which we have tried to explain to you the way to Start Up Your Mac in Internet Recovery Mode. If you have queries so then you can ask us in the comments section below.